Last Updated on
This page contains official 2019/2020 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Psychology, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Course||Psychology – under Social Science|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Suitability||Art and Commercial Students|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Psychology related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Psychology. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a Commercial student or an Art student with a good background Commercial subjects for you to study Psychology in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Psychology
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Psychology in Nigeria universities. This subject combination is also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Psychology must include:
- Government or History,
- English Language
- Three other subjects
- At least a pass in Mathematics is required
- A trade subject
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Psychology. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study this course, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Psychology
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Psychology that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Psychology. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination to study Psychology must include:
- Any three subjects from Arts or Social Science
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Psychology
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for this course, you are expected to have Two ‘A’ level passes including Government or History.
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study this course, don’t give up. You should consider other Psychology similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Psychology in Nigeria
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Baze University
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Covenant University Ota
- Chrisland University
- Christopher University Mowe
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Ekiti State University
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Madonna University, Okija
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- The University of Uyo.
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study Psychology. Listen, there is no such thing as best universities or top universities to study Psychology in Nigeria. Nobody has that information. Although recommendations are allowed, don’t be deceived by the word “best”. Read why you should stop looking for the best University in Nigeria
Course description: Psychology is the study of the mind. It is most commonly the study of discipline, an applied science which seeks to understand individuals and groups through general principles, and applying case studies to diagnose issues. A professional practitioner of psychology is called a psychologist. Psychologists attempt to understand the role of a person’s mental functions in their individual behaviour and how they behave in a social environment.
Psychology allows you to understand the principles of what makes people tick. Reliant on scientific methods, the statistics involved are tricky to understand, but worth it in the long run. You will be taught to think critically and this boosts your social skills. This understanding of the human condition is very useful in job interviews and workplace relationships.
Although it won’t necessarily boost your own mental health, it will allow you to diagnose issues among your family and friends. You could say it lets you read their minds… Psychology is a very employable degree. Contrary to the general belief that social sciences are dead ends, psychology can lead to law, social work, teaching, business and more.
The curriculum and courses reflect this diversity and are designed to provide a well-rounded education in psychology. This program provides students with a broad understanding and global perspective of psychology and its relevance in an increasingly diverse and global society. Students will apply psychological theories to current issues in psychology as they gain perspective in social awareness, responsibility, civic engagement, cross-cultural competence, and evidence-based decision-making in an information-rich world.
Students participate in courses that stimulate critical thinking through the use of applied learning methods (such as case study analysis) that facilitate applications of psychological theories and principles to the solution of contemporary personal, interpersonal, and societal problems.
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity with the major concepts, theoretical perspectives, empirical findings, and historical trends in psychology.
- Understand and apply basic research methods in psychology, including research design and data analysis and interpretation.
- Respect and use critical and creative thinking, skeptical inquiry, and, when possible, a scientific approach to solve problems related to behaviour and mental processes.
- Understand and apply psychological principles to personal, social, and organizational issues.
- Tolerate ambiguity, act ethically, and reflect other values that are the underpinnings of psychology as a science serving a global society.
- Apply cultural competencies to effective and sensitive interactions with people from diverse backgrounds and cultural perspectives.
These are the Courses under Psychology
- Applied Psychology
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Criminal Justice • General Psychology
- Human Services
- Infant and Toddler Development
- Preschool Child Development
- Preparation for Graduate Studies
- Psychology and the Law
- Workplace Psychology
Where can I work with a Degree in Psychology
Job areas for Psychology graduates include counsellor, teaching and lecturing, forensics, working in sport and exercise, advertising, careers advisor, human resources, and market research.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Psychology course
As you can see, more than one University offers Psychology. This means the cut-off mark for Psychology varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Psychology is a good course and you can also check the top best commercial courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Psychology is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Psychology is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Psychology is under the Faculty/School/College of Social and Management Studies but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a science or art student study Psychology?
Yes! If you are a Science, Commercial or an Art student, you can study Psychology at the university provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Psychology is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Psychology in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Psychology below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Psychology had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Follow Fatherprada on Facebook