This page contains the 2022 WAEC and JAMB subject combinations for Political Science Degree, including the list of Nigeria universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more.
|Course||Political Science – Under Art|
|Qualification||B.A. B.Sc. (Hons.)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this course||Art and commercial student|
|Cut off mark||varies|
|Related courses||Political Science related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
Is Political Science a good course in Nigeria?
Absolutely. Political Science is one of the oldest degrees in Nigeria with a few job roles you can explore. In Nigeria, Political Science graduate salaries depend on where you work, different employees have different salary packages. A person working as a Political Science in Nigeria typically earns around 90,000 naira to 350,000 naira per month.
Political Science is very competitive and popular amongst art students in secondary school. From our records, 93 Nigerian universities offer this degree course though the degree name may be slightly different.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Political Science, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Political Science and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Requirements To Study Political Science
Remember, the subject combination you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 O level requirements for Political Science are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
Jamb subject requirements For Political Science.
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. Moreso, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 190 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Political Science degree courses. You can still gain admission if you score between 170-180 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 compulsory (main) subjects in Jamb for Political Science are:
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Political Science, don’t give up. You should consider other Political Science similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Political Science
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Political Science, you are expected to have Two A’ level passes to include Government or History.
Here is the list of universities offering Political Science Degree in Nigeria.
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Chrisland University
- Christopher University Mowe
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Covenant University Ota
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Ekiti State University
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina (FUDUSOK)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Godfrey Okoye University
- Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University
- Ikeji-Arakeji, University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Obong University, Obong Ntak
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene Akwa Ibom
- Sokoto State University
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Summit University
- Tansian University Umunya
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Hezekiah University, Umudi
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Yobe State University, Damaturu.
Political Science degree has a 39% admission rate.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Political Science Course description:
I know you’re here to see the O level requirement for political science in Nigeria. Permit meet to also tell you what this Political science course is all about. It is a discipline seeks to explain the development of political attitudes and behaviour, the nature and function of contemporary political institutions, the development and implementation of public policies, and the limits and possibilities of government, both at the national and international levels.
Students will learn to critically evaluate public policies and institutions and are encouraged to become actively involved in the community through internships in government and public law. A degree in political science helps prepare students for careers in government, law, campaign management, business, international organizations, and research. Political science help you gain a thorough understanding of how power, politics, and people converge.
The political science major combines breadth and depth, helping students develop a general foundation for the study of politics and offering opportunities to explore particular areas of interest. Courses give students both a strong knowledge base and facility with the tools of political analysis. Most universities offers a substantial number of courses in all four fields of the discipline—Nigeria politics, international relations, comparative politics, and political theory—covering a range of topics and analytical perspectives.
This political science degree programme can prepare students for a wide variety of vocations. After graduation, many students go to law school or graduate school, or work for service organizations, government, or business.
Areas of emphasis within the political science are Nigeria politics and public law, international relations and comparative politics, public administration and public policy, and political theory and methodology..
Political Science is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study Political Science degree course at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Political Science for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course, there is room for more years if you have an extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Political Science is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Political Science is under the Faculty/School/College of Art but may be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a science or commercial student study Political Science?
Yes! If you are a science or a commercial student, you can study Political Science at the university provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Political Science is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Political Science in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
Special consideration (waiver) for Political Science
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU) requires Mathematics.
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) – Government or History plus any two of Economics, Geography Lit in English, English and Mathematics
- University of Ibadan (UI) – 3 subjects in Arts, Science Social Sciences
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma – Government and Mathematics are mandatory
- University of Lagos (UNILAG) requires Government and any two subjects from Economics, Geography, History, Literature-in-English, CRS/IRS and Mathematics.
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU) requires Government, one Social Science subject and any other subject.
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki requires Government and any two Social Science subjects.
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba requires Government or History, Economics and any other subject.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria requires Government or History, and any two of Economics, Geography, Civic Education, Islamic Studies, CRS.
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State and Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU) require Government and any two (2) Social science or one (1) Arts and one (1) Social Science subject or Mathematics.
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA) – Same as in Sociology.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU) accepts Mathematics, Government and any one of Economics, Geography or Literature in English.
- Bowen University, Iwo requires Mathematics, Government and any other Social Science subject.
- Bayero University, Kano (BUK) requires Government or History plus two other Social Science
- Kogi State University Anyigba requires Government or History and two Commercial, Social Science or Arts subjects.
Further reading on Political Science:
- Top Career Opportunities for Political Science
- Top Courses Related to Political Science
- Courses under Political Science in Nigeria
- Required documents for admission to Nigeria
- How to gain admission easily to study Political Science
- How to get scholarship updates to study for free.
- How to obtain a quick student loan