This page contains 2022 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Nursing, including the List of Nigeria universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more
|Qualifications||M.B.B.S., MB.B.Ch.B., B.D.S., B.Ch.D., Pharm.B, B.SC|
|Duration||4 – 5 Years|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Nursing/Nursing Science related courses|
You must be a Science student for you to be able to study Nursing/Nursing Science in Nigeria Universities, and that can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to WAEC, JAMB and A-level admission requirements.
Is Nursing/Nursing Science a good course in Nigeria and what is the salary?
Yes, it is a good course. Nursing/Nursing Science is one of the oldest degrees in Nigeria with plenty of job roles to explore. There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job. A person working as a Nurse in Nigeria typically earns around 45,000 NGN per month. Salaries range from 45,000 NGN to 450,000 NGN.
A Nursing/Nursing Science degree is competitive and this course is popular amongst science students in secondary school. From our records, 31 Nigerian institutions offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Nursing/Nursing Science, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Nursing/Nursing Science and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Nursing/Nursing Science
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Nursing/Nursing Science are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Geography/Further Mathematics
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Nursing/Nursing Science, don’t give up. You should consider other Nursing/Nursing Science similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Nursing/Nursing Science
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 200 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Nursing/Nursing Science. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Nursing/Nursing Science are:
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Nursing/Nursing Science
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Nursing/Nursing Science, you are expected to have:
- Two ‘A’ level passes from Biology/Zoology, Chemistry and Physics plus 3 other ‘O’ level credit pass in Mathematics, Physics, and English Language.
- NRN or its approved equivalent plus five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language and one Science subjects chosen from Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Human Nursing/Nursing Science, Physiology and Hygiene, Health Science, Further Mathematics and General Science.
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
These are the list of Universities offering Nursing/Nursing Science in Nigeria
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) (registered nurse only)
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Nursing/Nursing Science is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study Nursing/Nursing Science degree course at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Nursing/Nursing Science for five years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for four years. And of course there is room for more years if you have an extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Nursing/Nursing Science is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Nursing/Nursing Science is under the Faculty/School/College of Medical, Pharmaceutical and Health Science
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry-over Courses
Can a science or art student study Nursing/Nursing Science?
No! If you are a Commercial or Art student, you can’t study Nursing/Nursing Science degree course at the university. This is a pure science course. But if you are good with Science subjects, you can take your chances I won’t discourage you provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Nursing/Nursing Science is through GCE.
What is Nursing Science degree all about:
Nursing is a healthcare branch focused, not on direct medical techniques, but on the care of individuals, families, and communities who are unwell or in need of help, so they may maintain health and quality of life. If hospitals were a film set, the doctors and surgeons would be the actors and actresses, while nurses would be the lighting and make-up – you may think the stars could do a job without them, but really they’d be stuck.
You learn a complete set of medical skills. Think nursing is all about sticking needles in arms You’re wrong. Your training spans health science, social science, technology and theory. Better get revising. Having all the problems of the patients – and the doctors – thrown at you at once is a challenge, but many nurses say this is what they thrive on.
If you like variety and a job that keeps you on your toes, this is for you. Degree in Nursing/Nursing Science is one of the known course that deals with the management of human health and its immediate environment with or without a physician. Females have been known to major in this course.
It is a profession within the health care sector focused on the care of individuals, families, and communities so they may attain, maintain, or recover optimal health and quality of life. Nurses may be differentiated from other health care providers by their approach to patient care, training, and scope of practice.
At the end of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply leadership and informatics concepts in decision making to promote patient safety and quality care.
- Use evidence-based on the sciences, humanities, and research to guide nursing practice across the health-illness continuum in a variety of healthcare settings.
- Evaluate the implications of policy on issues of access, equity, affordability, and social justice in healthcare delivery including the health of vulnerable populations and healthcare disparities.
- Demonstrate effective communication and collaboration skills to improve patient outcomes.
- Implement individual and population-focused interventions to promote health and to prevent and manage disease and injuries.
- Exhibit accountability for personal and professional behaviours in accordance with standards of moral, ethical, and legal conduct with a commitment to continuous professional development.
- Provide patient-centred nursing care based on a comprehensive and focused health assessment across the lifespan using sound clinical judgment as well as developmentally and culturally appropriate approaches
Where can I work with a Degree in Nursing/Nursing Science
Job areas Nursing/Nursing Students include, as well as the traditional adult nurse, as a home visitor, nursing those with learning disabilities or mental health issues, midwifery, paramedic, paediatrician, counsellor, or social worker.
Learn more about Nursing/Nursing Science
Further Reading on Nursing Science Degree