Last updated on January 4, 2021 by The Counselor
This page contains 2020/2021 official WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Nursing, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more
|Qualifications||M.B.B.S., MB.B.Ch.B., B.D.S., B.Ch.D., Pharm.B, B.SC|
|Duration||4 – 5 Years|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Nursing/Nursing Science related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Nursing/Nursing Science. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a Science student for you to study Nursing in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
If you want to study this course, also read this 👇
- Careers in Nursing/Nursing Science
- Nursing/Nursing Science related courses
- 100, 200, 300 and 400 Level Courses under Nursing/Nursing Science
That is the O level / WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can ignore.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Nursing/Nursing Science
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Nursing in Nigeria universities. This subject combination is also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Nursing must include:
- English Language
- A trade subject
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Nursing/Nursing Science. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study Nursing/Nursing Science, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Nursing/Nursing Science
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Nursing/Nursing Science that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME.
Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once. Please note– English Language is compulsory. If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course.
JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Nursing/Nursing Science. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree!..
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Nursing/Nursing Science
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Nursing/Nursing Science, you are expected to have:
(i) Two ‘A’ level passes from Biology/Zoology, Chemistry and Physics plus 3 other ‘O’ level credit pass in Mathematics, Physics, and English Language.
(ii) NRN or its approved equivalent plus five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language and one Science subjects chosen from Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Human Nursing/Nursing Science, Physiology and Hygiene, Health Science, Further Mathematics and General Science.
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Nursing/Nursing Science, don’t give up. You should consider other Nursing/Nursing Science similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Nursing/Nursing Science in Nigeria
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) (registered nurse only)
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study Nursing/Nursing Science. Listen, I don’t encourage such but if you’re bent on knowing the best universities or top universities to study Nursing/Nursing Science in Nigeria, Check here
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Nursing/Nursing Science course
As you can see, more than one University offers Nursing/Nursing Science. This means the cut-off mark for Nursing/Nursing Science varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Nursing/Nursing Science is a good course and you can also check the top best science courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Nursing/Nursing Science is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study Nursing/Nursing Science at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Nursing/Nursing Science for five years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for four years. And of course there is room for more years if you have an extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Nursing/Nursing Science is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Nursing/Nursing Science is under the Faculty/School/College of Medical, Pharmaceutical and Health Science but may be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a science or art student study Nursing/Nursing Science?
No! If you are a Commercial or Art student, you can’t study Nursing/Nursing Science at the university. This is a pure science course. But if you are good with Science subjects, you can take your chances I won’t discourage you provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Nursing/Nursing Science is through GCE.
What is Nursing/Nursing Science course all about:
Nursing is a healthcare branch focused, not on direct medical techniques, but on the care of individuals, families, and communities who are unwell or in need of help, so they may maintain health and quality of life. If hospitals were a film set, the doctors and surgeons would be the actors and actresses, while nurses would be the lighting and make-up – you may think the stars could do a job without them, but really they’d be stuck.
You learn a complete set of medical skills. Think nursing is all about sticking needles in arms You’re wrong. Your training spans health science, social science, technology and theory. Better get revising. Having all the problems of the patients – and the doctors – thrown at you at once is a challenge, but many nurses say this is what they thrive on. If you like variety and a job that keeps you on your toes, this is for you.
Degree in Nursing/Nursing Science is one of the known course that deals with the management of human health and its immediate environment with or without a physician. Females have been known to major in this course.
It is a profession within the health care sector focused on the care of individuals, families, and communities so they may attain, maintain, or recover optimal health and quality of life. Nurses may be differentiated from other health care providers by their approach to patient care, training, and scope of practice.
At the end of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply leadership and informatics concepts in decision making to promote patient safety and quality care.
- Use evidence based on the sciences, humanities, and research to guide nursing practice across the health-illness continuum in a variety of healthcare settings.
- Evaluate the implications of policy on issues of access, equity, affordability, and social justice in healthcare delivery including the health of vulnerable populations and healthcare disparities.
- Demonstrate effective communication and collaboration skills to improve patient outcomes.
- Implement individual and population-focused interventions to promote health and to prevent and manage disease and injuries.
- Exhibit accountability for personal and professional behaviours in accordance with standards of moral, ethical, and legal conduct with a commitment to continuous professional development.
- Provide patient-centred nursing care based on a comprehensive and focused health assessment across the lifespan using sound clinical judgment as well as developmentally and culturally appropriate approaches
Where can I work with a Degree in Nursing/Nursing Science
Job areas Nursing/Nursing Students include, as well as the traditional adult nurse, as a home visitor, nursing those with learning disabilities or mental health issues, midwifery, paramedic, paediatrician, counsellor, or social worker.
Learn more about Nursing/Nursing Science
Nursing Course outline
There are more than 90 courses you will study under Nursing, which includes Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology etc. To learn more about these courses start here
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Nursing in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Nursing/Nursing Science below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Nursing/Nursing Science had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….Fatherprada tries as much as possible to provide you with correct and up to date information. If you find any pieces of misinformation or require additional details please feel free to use the comment. Follow Fatherprada on Facebook for Guides