This page contains official 2022 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Islamic Studies, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Qualification||B.A. B.Sc. (Hons.)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this course||Art and commercial student|
|Cut off mark||varies|
|Related courses||Islamic Studies related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
Is Islamic Studies a good course in Nigeria?
Absolutely. Islamic Studies is one of the oldest degrees in Nigeria with a few job roles you can explore. In Nigeria, Islamic Studies graduate salaries depend on where you work, different employees have different salary packages. The salary range for Islamic Studies graduates in Nigeria is between 50,000 naira to 200,000 naira per month
Islamic Studies is one of the oldest degrees and is not competitive. This course is popular amongst art students in secondary school. From our records, 32 Nigerian universities offer this degree course though the degree name may be slightly different.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Islamic Studies, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Islamic Studies and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combination For Islamic Studies
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Islamic Studies are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Literature In English
- Any Nigerian Language
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Islamic Studies, don’t give up. You should consider other Islamic Studies similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Islamic Studies
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score in addition to your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 180 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Islamic Studies. You can still gain admission if you score between 150-170 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Islamic Studies are:
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Islamic Studies
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Islamic Studies, you are expected to have Two ‘A’ level passes to include Islamic Studies.
Here is the list of universities offering Islamic Studies Degree in Nigeria.
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Yobe State University, Damaturu
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Kwara State College of Arabic and Islamic Legal Studies, Ilorin
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar
- Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa, Jigawa (SLU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Sokoto State University
- Summit University
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)
Islamic Studies is one of the oldest degrees in Nigeria with few job roles you can explore, and the competition for this course is high in Nigerian universities. Islamic Studies has 100% admission rate. Check the Islamic Studies related courses below to also know their admission rate.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Islamic Studies is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study Islamic Studies degree course at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Islamic Studies for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course, there is room for more years if you have an extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Islamic Studies is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Islamic Studies is under the Faculty/School/College of Art but may be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry-over Courses
Who can study Islamic Studies?
Can science or commercial students study Islamic Studies at the university? By default, this course is meant for art students only. But the curriculum of this course allows students with commercial or science backgrounds to study it as long as they have the right O level subject combination for Islamic Studies.
This simply means that even though you were a commercial or science student in secondary school, you can still qualify to study this course with the right O level subject for Islamic Studies.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Islamic Studies in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some compulsory subjects instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
Special consideration (waiver) for Islamic Studies
- University of Ibadan (UI) five ‘O’ level subjects at one sittings or 6 ‘O’ level subjects at two sittings to include English Language, Islamic Studies and any other three or four subjects from Arts or Social Sciences.
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye requires two other subjects from Arts.
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin requires working knowledge of Arabic.
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU) may accept Higher Islamic Studies or Senior Islamic Studies Results.
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU) requires five credit passes at SSCE or equivalent including English Language, Islamic Studies and three other relevant Arts/Social Science courses with a credit pass in Mathematics. Also accepts Higher Islamic Studies or Senior Islamic Studies results
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU) requires five O’ Level Credit passes to include English, Islamic Studies and any other two Arts subjects.
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ) accepts Arabic in lieu of Islamic Studies.
Further reading on Islamic Studies:
- Top Career Opportunities for Islamic Studies Students
- Courses Related to Islamic Studies
- List of Courses Under Islamic Studies
- Required documents for admission to Nigeria
- How to gain admission easily to study Islamic Studies
- How to get scholarship updates to study for free.
- How to obtain a quick student loan