This page contains 2022 WAEC and JAMB subject combinations (admission requirements) for Microbiology, including the list of Nigerian universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more.
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this course?||Science student|
|Number of universities||110|
Is Microbiology a good course in Nigeria and what is the salary?
Yes, Microbiology is a good course in Nigeria with plenty of job roles to explore. There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job. Microbiology graduates typically earn between ₦170,000 and ₦550,000 net per month.
Microbiology is competitive and quite popular amongst science students in secondary school. From our records, 110 Nigerian universities offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Microbiology, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Microbiology and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combinations For Microbiology
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Microbiology in Nigeria are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Microbiology, don’t give up. You should consider other Microbiology similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
Does Microbiology Need Chemistry?
Yes. Microbiology is the study of microorganisms; which are made of simple and complex chemical structures. It is important you know the basics of chemistry. This includes not only organic chemistry but physical chemistry as well. Take a look at Microbiology Courses here and see how many chemistry classes are needed to be a Microbiology graduate.
JAMB subject combination for Microbiology
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score and your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 220 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Microbiology. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Microbiology are:
List of Universities offering Microbiology in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Achievers University, Owo
- Augustine University
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Covenant University Ota
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Chrisland University
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Ekiti State University
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State (FUD)
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University,Ikeji-Arakeji
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- MOUNTAIN TOP
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Obong University, Obong Ntak
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sokoto State University
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo.
Cut-off Mark for Microbiology
As you can see, more than one University offers Microbiology. This means the cut-off mark for Microbiology will vary. However, from aggregate, the cut off mark is 220. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher.
Microbiology is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study a Microbiology degree course at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Microbiology for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course, there is room for more years if you have an extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Microbiology is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Microbiology is under the Faculty/School/College of Science but may also be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Can a commercial or an art student study Microbiology?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot study Microbiology at the university because it is a pure science course which needs a good background in science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result.
Special Consideration (waiver) to study Microbiology
- Madonna University, Okija and Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki accept a pass in Physics with credit in Mathematics.
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU), Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli, University of Uyo and Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki accept a pass in English Language.
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB) – Same as in Biological Science.
- University of Ibadan (UI) – Same as in Botany.
- University of Jos (UNIJOS) accepts candidates with pass at the Remedial Science Programme of the University of Jos.
- University of Uyo requires a credit pass in English Language.
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU) requires five (5) credit passes must include: English Language, mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and one other science subject at one sittings or six (6) credits at not more than two sittings.
- Bowen University, Iwo does not accept Agric. Science as another Science subject
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi and Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU) – Same as in Biochemistry.
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State and Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji accept Agricultural Science in lieu of Biology.
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN) accepts Geography or Economics in lieu of Physics.
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State and Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU) – Same as in Biochemistry.
- Federal University of Technology, Akure requires five o’ level credit passes, which must include English language, Biology or Agricultural Sciences, Chemistry, Mathematics, English Language and Physics at NOT more than two sittings.
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe requires five ‘O’ Level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry Biology and Physics. (xvii) Federal University of Technology, Minna requires at least a pass in Physics with Credit pass in any other Science subject.
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU) requires credit passes from English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry and any two of Biology, Physics, Further Mathematics or Agricultural Science.
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike – Same as in its requirement for Food Science and Technology.
- Evangel University, Akaeze accepts any other Science subject in lieu of Physics.
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State (FUD):