Last updated on October 17, 2019
O Level & A Level Requirement – Subject Combination for Civil Engineering 2020/2021; including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering the Course, WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB UTME, Direct Entry, IJBM, JUPEB, CAMBRIDGE, NABTEB, Course Description and Career Opportunities
|Qualification||B. Eng., B.Sc., B. Tech., B. Arc|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Civil Engineering related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
You must be a science student to study Civil Engineering in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), s, Special consideration (waivers) and the required documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can ignore.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Civil Engineering
The subjects needed to study Civil Engineering in WAEC must contain five (5) credit. This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Civil Engineering must include:
Civil Engineering is as old as the Tower of Babel When it comes to Engineering, Civil Engineering is one of the broadest and oldest of the engineering disciplines, extending across many technical specialities. Civil Engineers plan, design, and supervise the construction of facilities essential to modern life like space satellites and launching facilities, offshore structures, bridges, buildings, tunnels, highways, transit systems, dams, airports, harbours, water supply system and wastewater treatment plants.
A civil engineer is responsible for planning and designing a project, constructing the project to the required scale, and maintenance of the project. A civil engineer requires not only a high standard of engineering knowledge but also supervisory and administrative skills.
What does a Civil Engineer do
- Civil engineers are involved in the design and building of highways, bridges and tunnels, schools, hospitals, airports and other buildings, sewage systems and water treatment facilities.
- Most structures, large and small, require the help of a civil engineer whether in the designing, planning or managing of the project.
- Civil engineers also help to preserve our environment by assisting in the cleaning up of existing pollution and planning ways to reduce future pollution of our air, land and water.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Civil Engineering
Knowing JAMB subjects for Civil Engineering is not enough. You should aim for a score of 180 – 200 and above in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just a piece of advice) because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College of Education or Polytechnic… Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree!..
JAMB UTME subject combinations (subjects to write in jamb) to study Civil Engineering are:
‘A’ level passes in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics
If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with this admission requirement that is the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider other Civil Engineering similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please consider
- The Fees
- The Distance
- The Environment
- The Degree Certificate
- Vulnerability to Strike
- Acceptable O Level and A-level Result
- Academic Calendar
These are the list of Universities offering Civil Engineering in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) with options in: (i) Structural Engr. Tech. (ii) Public Health Engineering Technology. (iii) Transportation/Highway Engineering Technology (iv) Water Resources and Engineering Technology (v) Marine Engineering Technology
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Covenant University Ota
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Ekiti State University
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Gregory University, Uturu
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo.
Cut-off Mark for Civil Engineering course
As you can see, there are 47 Universities offering Civil Engineering. This means the cut-off mark for Civil Engineering varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Civil Engineering is a good course and you can also check the top best engineering courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Civil Engineering is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Civil Engineering is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Civil Engineering is under Faculty of Agriculture but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
Can a commercial or art student study Civil Engineering?
No! Civil Engineering is a pure science course and not suitable for commercial or art student. But if you have required subject combination in your O level result, you can go for it if that is the course you desire to study. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects during WAEC registration because your schools may go against it. The alternative way to write the required subjects combination for Civil Engineering is through GCE.
Where can I work with a Degree in Civil Engineering?
I believe you now know the subjects required to study Civil Engineering. I urge you to also find out where you can work with the degree. Please take your time to read The Act of Getting a Job – so you would know what you’re up against after graduating. Career opportunities in Civil Engineering students include;
- Building control surveyor
- Building services engineer
- Engineering geologist
- Quantity surveyor
- Site engineer
- Structural engineer
- Water engineer
The SSCE O level and A-level subject needed to study Civil Engineering have been listed above. Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results. You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for this course if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for this course had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar..
Fatherprada tries as much as possible to provide you with correct and up to date information. If you find any pieces of misinformation or require additional details please feel free to use the comment.