This page contains 2023 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Chemistry, including the list of Nigerian universities offering this course, A level requirements and much more.
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this course?||Science student|
|Number of universities||117|
Is Chemistry a good course in Nigeria and what is the salary?
Yes, Chemistry is a good course in Nigeria with plenty of job roles to explore. There is no standard salary for any job in Nigeria. It depends on where you get the job. Chemistry graduates typically earn between ₦105,000 and ₦450,000 net per month
Chemistry is competitive and quite popular amongst science students in secondary school. From our records, 117 Nigerian universities offer this degree course.
So while you are here to get information on the O level subject combination for Chemistry, we also expect you consider the total number of students currently studying Chemistry and the employment rate we will show you below so that you will know what you are up against when you choose to study this course.
We have some student guide articles that will be of benefit to you.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online courses and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC Subject Combinations For Chemistry
Remember, the requirement you’re about to read is also applicable to all o level examinations. (WAEC, NECO and GCE). We have painstakingly highlighted (in red) the core subjects on which you must obtain credit before you can gain admission. Any subject with blue colour means, a pass is allowed.
If however, you fail one of the core subjects, you should read through each university’s special requirements for this course below to see if there is a university that may accept another subject in lieu of the one you failed. The 9 WAEC/NECO/GCE subject combinations for Chemistry in Nigeria are:
- Civic Education
- Trade Subject
- Further Mathematics
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same as the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Chemistry, don’t give up. You should consider other Chemistry similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
JAMB subject combination for Chemistry
For this degree, you are also required to register for 4 subjects and English is compulsory. More so, your JAMB score and your POST UTME score will determine the cumulative score that the university will use to decide your candidacy for admission.
You should score 200 or above in JAMB to stand a better chance of gaining admission to study Chemistry. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher. Try out JAMB Admission Simulator.
The 4 JAMB subject combination for Chemistry are:
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Chemistry
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Chemistry, you are expected to have
- Two ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry and any one of Physics, Mathematics or Biology.
- OND/NCE with good grades in relevant ‘O’ level subjects
List of Universities offering Chemistry in Nigeria:
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross River State
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Augustine University
- Yobe State University, Damaturu
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Baze University
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- The Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Chrisland University
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Cross River State University of Science & Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Ekiti State University
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko Imo State
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State (FUD)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa, Jigawa (SLU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Agriculture Makurdi
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sokoto State University
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Summit University
- Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED)
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- University of Uyo
- Veritas University, Abuja
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Yobe State University, Damaturu.
Cut-off Mark for Chemistry course
As you can see, more than one University offers Chemistry. This means the cut-off mark for Chemistry will vary. However, from aggregate, the cut off mark is 200. You can still gain admission if you score between 180-190 upward but you do not stand a chance with those who had scored higher.
Chemistry is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study a Chemistry degree course at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Chemistry for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course, there is room for more years if you have an extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Chemistry is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Chemistry is under the Faculty/School/College of Science but may also be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry-over Courses
Can a commercial or an art student study Chemistry?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot study Chemistry at the university because it is a pure science course which needs a good background in science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result.
Special Consideration (waiver) to study Chemistry
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU) accepts a pass in English Language under exceptional circumstances.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria accept P.7 in English Language for candidates who show special ability in Mathematics and Physics
- University of Calabar (UNICAL) requires credit pass in Physics /Mathematics. University of Calabar (UNICAL) accept P. 7 in English and one of Mathematics or Biology.
- Benue State University, Makurdi requires a credit pass in Mathematics.
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) requires Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics or Biology for University of Ilorin (UNILORIN).
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU) and Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma accept any other subject in lieu of Biology.
- University of Ibadan (UI) requires 5 or 6 ‘O’ level credit passes at one or two sittings including English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology.
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State and Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST) require five ‘O’ level credit passes including English Language, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology and any other Science subject.
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma and University of Benin (UNIBEN) accepts Agricultural Science in lieu of Biology.
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU) accepts Geography in lieu of Physics.
- University of Uyo requires a credit pass in English Language
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU) requires at least five O/Level credits at not more than two sittings, which must include English Language, Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH) same as in Pure and Applied Physics.
- Crescent University (CUAB) and Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB) – Same as in Biochemistry.
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT) requires Mathematics and does not accept Biology.
- The American University of Nigeria, Yola (AUN) requires Five ‘O’ level credit passes including English Language, Mathematics, and any other three subjects from the following; Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, Biology, Further Mathematics, Literature in English, Government, History, Economics, Geography, Technical Drawing, Visual Arts, Computer Studies, Information Technology, Civics, and French.
- American University of Nigeria, Yola (AUN) does not accept credit passes in the following; Agriculture, Food and Nutrition, Home Economics, Home Craft, Home management, Physical Education, Physical and Health Education, Music, Commerce, Accounting, Financial Accounting, Book keeping, Islamic History, Religious Studies, Tajweed, Library Studies, Diction, Kiswahili, Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Arabic, Turkish, Study skills.
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja accepts English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry and any other two Science subjects.
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State same as in Biological Sciences.
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike same as in Mathematics.
- Kogi State University Anyigba and Redeemer’s University, Mowe require Five ‘O’ Level credit passes to include English Language, Chemistry Mathematics, Physics and Biology/Agricultural Science. Kogi State University Anyigba requires that Credit in Agricultural Science MUST be backup with a pass in Biology.
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi accepts credit passes in either Geography or Statistics in lieu of Biology.
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State requires five SSCE credit passes which must include Chemistry, English Language, Physics, Mathematics and either Biology or Agriculture.
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU) requires the five ‘O’ level credit passes in not more than two sittings.
- Kogi State University Anyigba and University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) Accepts Agricultural Science in lieu of Biology.
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU) – Same as in Mathematics.
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA) – Same as in Biological Sciences.
- The Federal University of Technology, Minna requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry and any other two subjects from Physics, Biology, Further Mathematics, geography and Technical Drawing.
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State (FUD) accepts ND, HND, NCE, IJMB in addition to 5 O/level Credit passes in Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics/Physics.
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State accepts credit pass in Agricultural Science or Health Science in place of Biology.
- Sokoto State University accepts credit pass in Agricultural Science but with a pass in Biology
Further reading on Chemistry:
- Top Career Opportunities for Chemistry
- List of Courses Related to Chemistry
- List of Courses Under Chemistry