O Level & A Level Requirement – Subject Combination for Mechanical Engineering 2020/2021; including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering the Course, WAEC, NECO, GCE, JAMB UTME, Direct Entry, IJBM, JUPEB, CAMBRIDGE, NABTEB, Course Description and Career Opportunities
|Qualification||B. Eng., B.Sc., B. Tech., B. Arc|
|Duration||3 – 4 Years|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Mechanical Engineering related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
You must be a science student to study Mechanical Engineering in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), s, Special consideration (waivers) and the required documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can ignore.
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Mechanical Engineering
The subjects needed to study Mechanical Engineering in WAEC must contain five (5) credit. This subject combination is also applicable to NECO AND GCE… The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Mechanical Engineering must include
- English Language
- Any other Science subject
- A trade subject
Before you consider the JAMB UTME subject combination (subjects to write in jamb) to study this course, it is good you know what this course is all about. Mechanical engineering is a discipline of engineering that applies the principles of physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It is the branch of engineering that involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for the design, production, and operation of machines and tools. It is one of the oldest and broadest engineering disciplines.
The engineering field requires an understanding of core concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, materials science, and structural analysis. Mechanical engineers use these core principles along with tools like computer-aided engineering and product lifecycle management to design and analyze manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, heating and cooling systems, transport systems, aircraft, watercraft, robotics, medical devices and more.
Mechanical Engineering science emerged in the 19th century as a result of developments in the field of physics. The field has continually evolved to incorporate advancements in technology. Mechanical engineers today are pursuing developments in fields such as composites, mechatronics and nano technology. Mechanical Engineering overlaps with aerospace engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, petroleum engineering and chemical engineering to varying amounts.
Like other career paths, entry into this particular branch of engineering also requires certain basic traits. First and foremost, you must have a penchant for mechanical components and machinery and how these machines work. You must be good at physics, chemistry and mathematics. You must also have skills such as an analytical bent of mind, logical reasoning and problem solving.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Mechanical Engineering
Knowing JAMB subjects for Mechanical Engineering is not enough. You should aim for a score of 180 – 200 and above in JAMB UTME to be on a safe side (Just a piece of advice) because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider College of Education or Polytechnic… Please note – JAMB is not the only option for admission. If you’re having troubles JAMB UTME maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree!..
JAMB UTME subject combinations (subjects to write in jamb) to study Mechanical Engineering are:
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Mechanical Engineering
(i) Two ‘A’ level passes from Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics.
(ii) ND upper credit, NCE technical and HND in Mech. Engineering.
If for some reasons you are not satisfied or cannot meet up with this admission requirement that is the subject combination above, perhaps you should consider other Mechanical Engineering similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related course subject requirements. You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please consider
- The Fees
- The Distance
- The Environment
- The Degree Certificate
- Vulnerability to Strike
- Acceptable O Level and A-level Result
- Academic Calendar
These are the list of Universities offering Mechanical Engineering in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) with options in: (i) Air conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering Tech. (ii) Automotive Engineering Tech. (iii) Industrial and Prod. Engr. Tech. (iv) Aeronautical Eng. Technology
- Bayero University, Kano
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Covenant University Ota
- Cross River State University of Science & Technology Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Ekiti State University
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Gregory University, Uturu
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY).
Cut-off Mark for Mechanical Engineering course
The cut-off mark for Mechanical Engineering varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Mechanical Engineering is a good course and you can also check the top best engineering courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Mechanical Engineering is how many years course and under which faculty?
Depending on your mode of entry, Mechanical Engineering is a three to four years course in Nigeria. According to JAMB, Mechanical Engineering is under Faculty of Agriculture but may be under a different faculty in some universities.
Can a commercial or art student study Mechanical Engineering?
No! Mechanical Engineering is a pure science course and not suitable for commercial or art student. But if you have required subject combination in your O level result, you can go for it if that is the course you desire to study. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects during WAEC registration because your schools may go against it. The alternative way to write the required subjects combination for Mechanical Engineering is through GCE
Where can I work with a Degree in Mechanical Engineering
I believe you now know the subjects required to study Mechanical Engineering. I urge you to also find out where you can work with the degree. Please take your time to read The Act of Getting a Job – so you would know what you’re up against after graduating. With a degree in mechanical engineering, one can find job in various government and private sector companies. Mechanical Engineer can opt for various job openings such as: Maintenance Engineer, safety Engineer, Quality Assurance, Design Engineer, Production Supervisor/Engineer etc