Last Updated on
This page contains official 2019/2020 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Biochemistry, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Qualification||(B.Sc. & B. Tech)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this couse||Science student|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Biochemistry related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Biochemistry. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a science student with a good background science subjects for you to study Biochemistry in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Biochemistry
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Biochemistry in Nigeria universities. These subjects combination are also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Biochemistry must include:
- English Language
- A trade subject
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Biochemistry. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study Biochemistry, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Biochemistry
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Biochemistry that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Biochemistry. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination to study Biochemistry must include:
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Biochemistry
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Biochemistry, you are expected to have Two ‘A’ level passes chosen from Chemistry, Mathematics Physics and Biology.
NCE/ND/HND in related field plus UTME requirement.
I want you to read this
- How to Study Effectively in University and College
- Administrative Structure of Nigerian Universities
- Punishment/Penalties for Examination Malpractice
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Biochemistry, don’t give up. You should consider other Biochemistry similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Biochemistry in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Bayero University, Kano
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Covenant University Ota
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Chrisland University
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Ekiti State University
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Madonna University, Okija
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Micheal & Cecilia Ibru University
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- Novena University, Ogume
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sokoto State University
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- Veritas University, Abuja,
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Ekiti State University
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
I know some of you will start searching for the best university to study Biochemistry. Listen, I don’t encourage such but if you’re bent on knowing the best universities or top universities to study Biochemistry in Nigeria, Check here
Course description for Biochemistry:
It is good we take a look at the brief description Biochemistry to help you decide if this course is worth studying in Nigeria Universities. Biochemistry, sometimes called biological chemistry, is the study of chemical processes within and relating to living organisms. biochemistry has become so successful at explaining living processes that now almost all areas of the life sciences from botany to medicine to genetics are engaged in biochemical research.
Today, the main focus of pure biochemistry is on understanding how biological molecules give rise to the processes that occur within living cells, which in turn relates greatly to the study and understanding of tissues, organs, and whole organisms that is, all of biology. Biochemistry is closely related to molecular biology, the study of the molecular mechanisms by which genetic information encoded in DNA is able to result in the processes of life.
Much of biochemistry deals with the structures, functions and interactions of biological macromolecules, such as proteins, nucleic acids, carbohydrates and lipids, which provide the structure of cells and perform many of the functions associated with life. The chemistry of the cell also depends on the reactions of smaller molecules and ions. These can be inorganic, for example, water and metal ions, or
organic, for example, the amino acids, which are used to synthesize proteins. The mechanisms by which cells harness energy from their environment via chemical reactions are known as metabolism.
If you wish to study Biochemistry, you will be exposed to the internal workings of chemical processes in relation to biological makeup of living organisms. It involves deep study of biology and chemistry, organic and inorganic chemistry, DNA AND RNA. A strong foundation in biology, chemistry and a little bit of physics is key to making it in this department.
Biochemistry is applied in different fields:
In medicine, biochemists investigate the causes and cures of diseases. In nutrition, they study how to maintain health wellness and study the effects of nutritional deficiencies.
The Role of Biochemistry in Industry
Biochemistry plays an important role in a wide variety of areas. Progress in this field has applications that span areas such as agriculture, the environment, medicine, cosmetics, and a variety of others.
In fact, developments in biochemistry lead all the way to law and public policy. Thanks to biochemistry, we can screen unborn babies for disease, develop new medicines to treat and cure various diseases, protect crops from pests and disease, combat pollution, design products that are biocompatible and do many other things to make our food, bodies, and planet safer.
Where can I work with a Degree in Biochemistry
• Agribusiness Companies: Developing safer and more effective agricultural products
• Hospital Laboratories: Analyzing samples from patients to provide treatment advice
• Pharmaceutical Companies: Developing drugs and other pharmaceutical products
• University Laboratories: Researching anything from gene therapy to disease treatments
• Cosmetic Companies: Creating safer and more effective products
• Food Product Development or Regulation Companies: Ensuring the safety of food
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Biochemistry course
As you can see, more than one University offers Biochemistry. This means the cut-off mark for Biochemistry varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Biochemistry is a good course and you can also check the top best science courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Biochemistry is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study Biochemistry at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Biochemistry for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course, there is room for more years if you have an extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Biochemistry is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Biochemistry (Science) is under the Faculty/School/College of Science but maybe under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Biochemistry courses in Nigeria:
- Biological Techniques
- Biological Techniques
- Cell Biology and Histology
- Chemical Kinetics
- Chemical Thermodynamics
- Elementary Mathematics
- Elementary Modern Physics
- Environmental Microbiology
- Experimental Physics
- General Biochemistry
- General Biology
- General Chemistry
- General Microbiology
- General Physics
- General Physiology
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Introductory Ecology
- Organic Chemistry
- Organic Reaction Mechanisms
- Pathogenic Bacteriology
- Physical Chemistry
- Population Genetics
- Practical Biology
- Thermal Physics
Courses related to Biochemistry in Nigeria
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a commercial or an art student study Biochemistry?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot Biochemistry at the university because it is a pure science course which need a good background on science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Biochemistry is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Biochemistry in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Biochemistry below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Biochemistry had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Get latest student gist when you like us on Facebook
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Industrial Mathematics
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Zoology
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Biological Science
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Applied Botany
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Fisheries – Under Science
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Industrial Chemistry
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combination for Botany
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Geography – Under Science
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combination for Biology
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Applied Biochemistry