Last Updated on
This page contains official 2020/2021 WAEC and JAMB subject combination (admission requirements) for Mathematics, including the List of Nigeria Universities Offering this Course, A level requirements and much more.
|Qualification||(B.Sc. & B. Tech)|
|How many years||3 – 4 Years|
|Who can study this couse||Science student|
|Cut off mark||Varies|
|Related courses||Mathematics related courses|
|Job Availability||High and Competitive|
On this page, I will guide you on the required O level subject combination to study Mathematics. if you are a returning visitor, you can skip reading repetitive paragraphs.
You must be a science student with a good background science subjects for you to study Mathematics in Nigeria Universities, and that’s can only be possible if you meet admission requirements. This page literally covers answers to questions related to O level and A-level admission requirement.
That is, the WAEC subject combination (requirements), JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements), Direct Entry requirements, Special consideration (waivers) and the required screening documents for admission into Nigeria universities. In other to help you avoid having difficulties with getting admission in Nigeria Universities, we have some post that will be of benefit to you. You can always ignore!
- The required documents for admission into Nigeria universities
- How to gain admission easily into Nigeria Universities
- Nigeria University Guides
- How to study online course and earn a degree
- Study abroad for free through scholarships
WAEC subject combination (requirements) for Mathematics
You’re expected to have at least 5 credits on the required WAEC subject combination needed to study Mathematics in Nigeria universities. These subjects combination are also applicable to other O’level exams such as NECO AND GCE. The O level requirement, that is, the required WAEC subject combination for Mathematics must include:
These listed subjects are compulsory for anyone writing WAEC and other O level examinations. I will advise you to include a Language in your O level subjects. For the record, if you are one of those students seeking admission into any universities, college or polytechnics in Lagos State, Yoruba Language is compulsory for Mathematics. So now that you know the compulsory O level subject requirement to study Mathematics, let also look at JAMB UTME and Direct requirements.
JAMB UTME subject combination (requirements) for Mathematics
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions. Now I’m going to show you the compulsory JAMB subjects for Mathematics that you must register (English must be included because it is compulsory even though it may not be listed among the JAMB subjects below), and I will honestly advise you to aim for a score of 200 and above in JAMB UTME instead of 180 to be on a safe side because anything short of that may deny you of Admission/Post UTME. Of course, if you have a score below 180, you can consider the College of Education or Polytechnic… Read how to answer and pass JAMB once.
Please note– If Mathematics is not listed among the Jamb subject on this post, then Mathematics is not compulsory for this course. JAMB is not the only option to gain admission into Nigerian Universities to study Mathematics. If you’re having troubles with JAMB UTME, maybe it’s time you pass through IJBM, JUBEB, ND, HND or Predegree. JAMB UTME subject combination to study Mathematics must include:
- Any two of Physics, Chemistry and Economics or Geography.
Direct Entry requirement (required A-level result) to study Mathematics
If you’re one of those seeking admission into the University to further your studies, in addition to the required WAEC subjects combination for Mathematics, you are expected to have;
(i) Two ‘A’ level passes in Mathematics and any other science subject.
(ii) NCE with at least merit in Mathematics and one of Physics, Chemistry or Economics
If you have your O level result already and the subjects you have is not the same with the admission requirement that is the required O level subject combinations to study Mathematics, don’t give up. You should consider other Mathematics similar courses or take a look at Polytechnic or College of Education related courses.
You can also study online with a foreign university right from your bedroom or apply for a scholarship to study abroad. Education is now a choice. And please before you make a decision on which University to choose, please read useful guides on how to choose a course and university
These are the list of Universities offering Mathematics in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Abia State University, Uturu
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross River State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Augustine University
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Baze University
- University of Benin (UNIBEN) with options in Computer Science and Statistics.
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Chrisland University
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Cross River State University of Science & Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State,
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki,
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Ekiti State University, Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko
- Imo State, Evangel University, Akaeze
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State (FUD)
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe (FUUmar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa (FUOTUOKE)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain Unversity, Oshogbo
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University Gombe
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa, Jigawa (SLU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State,
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN),
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Obong University, Obong Ntak
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom,
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sokoto State University
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Summit University
- Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED)
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Hezekiah University, Umudi
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Veritas University, Abuja
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Yobe State University, Damaturu
Course description: Mathematics is the language in which our era’s technical and scientific knowledge is formulated. It is also an indispensable tool in computer science, insurance and the economy. However, its actual core is pure mathematics: the intensive study of abstract structures and geometrical objects, and the discovery and description of the laws that govern them. The principal aim of a degree in Mathematics is a broad education in the fundamentals of mathematics that allows graduates to independently acquire further knowledge for their future professional work.
Mathematicians work in many different fields. They conduct research and teach at universities, universities of applied sciences and secondary schools. They work for insurance companies and, increasingly, in banks, industry, software development, planning and business optimisation, or as statisticians in the public sector. A distinct talent for abstract thought is always essential for studying and working with mathematics
Pattern and form surround us—from the branching angles of our blood vessels and the complexity of computer algorithms to inventory scheduling and the four-dimensional geometry of our universe. As the pure expression of pattern and form, mathematics provides the language for science. In the past 100 years, many disciplines have been virtually transformed by the infusion of mathematics, so that alongside the traditional field of mathematical physics, one now finds new disciplines such as mathematical biology, mathematical ecology, mathematical economics, mathematical linguistics and mathematical psychology.
But mathematics is so much more than its applications. As the study of formal structures, mathematics offers a supreme beauty, an abstract forest of pattern and form, at once deep, intricate, logical, and surprising, a forest holding wonders both known and unknown. The search for these wonders is no game, for mathematics bears on eternal truth: Primes—such as 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, …—cannot be written as the product of two smaller integers. How many primes are there Infinitely many. This is a well-known wonder proved by Euclid. Twin primes—such as 3 and 5, 5 and 7, 11 and 13, 17 and 19, …—are “consecutive” primes. How many twin primes are there No one knows.
Mathematicians have unleashed their most sophisticated weapons on this problem, but the question remains unanswered. It is an unknown wonder. Will you be the first to find the answer Whatever the answer, it is an eternal and universal truth: true for all time, in all places, to every intellect.
You should read this also
- Common Problems Students Face in University
- The Pros and Cons of Living Off-Campus or On-Campus
- How to set up a timetable for study
Cut-off Mark for Mathematics course
As you can see, more than one University offers Mathematics. This means the cut-off mark for Mathematics varies. You can check these universities JAMB UTME cut off marks here. Mathematics is a good course and you can also check the top best science courses. This should not influence you. Follow your heart or seek my counsel.
Mathematics is how many years course?
In Nigeria, if you gain admission to study Mathematics at the university through JAMB UTME, you will study Mathematics for four years. If you gain admission through direct entry, you will study this course for three years. And of course there is room for more years if you have extension; the aftermath of carryover courses.
Mathematics is under which faculty in Nigeria?
According to JAMB, a body responsible for your admission into the University or other institutions, Mathematics is under the Faculty/School/College of Science but may be under a different faculty in some universities in Nigeria.
Have you read this?
- How to Deal With Problems Related to Your Studies
- How to Request For Missing Result, Scripts or A Remark
- How to Avoid or Overcome Carry over Courses
Can a commercial or an art student study Mathematics?
No! If you are a Commercial or an Art student, you cannot Mathematics at the university because it is a pure science course which need a good background on science subjects. To avoid discouragement, you can go for this course if you wish provided you have the required subjects combination in your O level result. If you’re still in secondary school, you may find it difficult to change subjects to fit your desired course during WAEC registration because some schools may go against it.
Also, during WAEC or NECO registration make sure you know which subjects are been registered for you because some secondary schools are ignorant about the importance of O level requirements for university courses. Another alternative way to register the required subject combinations for Mathematics is through GCE.
Now I am confident that you know the compulsory subjects needed to study Mathematics in WAEC. But note this — Some Universities may accept D7 or E8 in some a compulsory subject instead of Credit. And some may accept or reject two sittings. That is combinations of WAEC, NECO, or GCE results.
You will know more when you take a look at the special consideration (waiver) for Mathematics below if available. Please take note that when you see Check, it simply means the special consideration for Mathematics had been merge with a related course to save space. So it is advisable to click the link or search with the search bar….
Get latest student gist when you like us on Facebook
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Industrial Mathematics
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Geography – Under Science
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Applied Geophysics
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Applied Botany
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Combinations for Geology
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Pure and Applied Mathematics
- WAEC and JAMB Subject Combinations for Biological Science
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Statistics
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject Combinations for Zoology
- WAEC and JAMB UTME Subject for Marine Biology and Fisheries